Re: [HTML 4.0 draft] (further) comments on ACRONYM

Benjamin Franz (snowhare@netimages.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:34:27 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:34:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare@netimages.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: [HTML 4.0 draft] (further) comments on ACRONYM

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Aymeric Poulain Maubant wrote:

> Numerous comments have already been done here on the ACRONYM element.
> It still seems to me that this element misses an attribute... But
> first of all, the relevant extract from the draft :
[...]
> as expected :
>
>   The <ACRONYM acr="sncf"></ACRONYM> is a Society dealing with
[...]

I disagree.

The is a Society dealing with

is NOT 'as expected' and is what the older non-ACRONYM aware browsers
would render of your usage.  The extra bandwidth from repetitive use is at
most a minor issue - breaking content display is not. I also have vague
discomfort with the setting of a state variable in HTML. If 'feels' like
scripting, not HTML.

--
Benjamin Franz