Re: Forcing to another page to load

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
  Andrew Daviel <andrew@andrew.triumf.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:

> > 1) Redirect people using a 301 to the new location
> > 2) After some time, put up a stub server which only gave a "We
> > have moved, click here for new location" message on each request
> > (of course tailored for the specific URL), with a 404 code.
>
> Sounds a good ides; I hadn't tried that. I guess browsers do
> usually display a page with 404, and robots should drop the URL.
>
> It would be nice to do the whole thing in one go, but
> things are a bit too entrenched for that.

Problem is that most people don't have access to the server on the
ISP that houses their web page, and probably most ISPs don't want to
deal with configuring moved stubs for 'personal' home pages.

---
Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl (wlkngowl@unix.asb.com)
Se habla PGP.
http://www.asb.com/usr/wlkngowl