Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

Dave Raggett (dsr@w3.org)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 06:28:47 -0400 ()

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 06:28:47 -0400 ()
From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
To: Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu>
cc: Scott Matthewman <scottm@danielson.co.uk>, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Jordan Reiter wrote:

> Why then (as Russell O'Connor has pointed out also) does this new
> specification includes the onclick, etc. attributes?  The
> implications of this are, in my opinion, somewhat more dubious.
> Here we are getting into the question of function and behavior,
> which I think is (to a certain extent) wrong.  We have
> simultaneously a documentation which warns against using style
> sheets to force paragraphs to render without whitespace in-between
> (in order not to confuse users), but allows the use of scripting,
> which can completely change the way that a browser works (clicking
> on a link might open a new window, or turn the page black).

Scripting can be used in ways which work across a wide range
of platforms, e.g. for data validation in forms. It can also
be used to tune documents to different platforms, and for
dynamic effects. Website Designers have a powerful tool in
scripting, and one that can easily be misused, but in good
hands produces great results.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2521 (office) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)