Re: CAPTION element for OBJECT?

At 2:32a -0400 07/10/97, Jim Wise wrote:
 > On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
 >
 > > It is not abuse, it is making do with what is available.
 > > It really is unfair of you to blame authors for HTML's shortcomings.
 > > Resourcefulness and creativity are human features, not bugs.
 >
 > Not when they prevent a much-needed standardization of a shared medium
 > such as HTML.

Well, authors have to do *something* while they wait for better methods
to be implemented in browsers. Do you expect people to boycott or not
even create web pages because the desired tags have not yet been embraced
by the browser vendors?

 > > Suggestion: replace "abuse" with "are forced to resort to using".
 >
 > Nonsense.  No one is forcing you to misuse HTML.  If you want pixel

He calls it abuse, Abigail calls it abuse, you call it misuse -- what on
earth is your problem with USING tables? To me, the only abuse of tables
is when authors override scalability (as in <TABLE WIDTH=1024>).

 > level control and graphical consistency, use a graphical format such as

No, with CAPTION, I am talking only about having a string of text wedded
to an inline image/object. That's what a caption is. This has nothing to
do with pixels (unless it's a really narrow image, I guess).

 > TIFF or PDF.  If you want platform independece and logical markup, use
 > HTML.  If you want HTML with some level of control of visual rendering,
 > use HTML with CSS.

Of course there is the option of embedding a caption within an image, but
that thwarts copy/paste (although I suppose a copy/pasted caption would
not be of much use without its picture anyway...).

(PS. Please do not CC me -- I am a www-html subscriber.)