Re: My humble comments on the HTML 4.0 draft

Jordan Reiter (jreiter@mail.slc.edu)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 02:07:14 -0400

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 02:07:14 -0400
To: elmert@ipoline.com, www-html@w3.org
From: Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu>
Subject: Re: My humble comments on the HTML 4.0 draft

At 7:21 PM -0000 7/9/97, Steve Cheng wrote:
>I'll add more questions to the list...
>
>1. In what situations should the Q element be used? For example, there is a
>difference between quoting Shakespeare and dialog quotes in a narrative
>story.
There are no visual, informational, *or* structural differences between:
So I was standing there and suddenly I just shouted, <Q>HTML 4.0 is out!</Q>
Had Shakespeare ever tried surfing on the web, I doubt he would have felt
that <Q>too swift arrives as tardy as too slow</Q>.
Certainly, one can use the CITE attribute for the Shakespeare quote (_Romeo
and Juliet_), but one could just as easily use it (and rightly so) for the
first quote (Jordan Reiter).  And this of course leads to questions about
creating a standard for the CITE attribute (something I'm sure the meta2
list [or whoever] would be willing to dirty their hands with).  The Q tag
should be used in instances where the existence of the quote is important,
and this should be up to the sole discretion of the author.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]