Re: Forcing to another page to load

Andrew Daviel (andrew@andrew.triumf.ca)
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:24:43 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Daviel <andrew@andrew.triumf.ca>
To: Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@htmlhelp.com>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Forcing to another page to load

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:

> 1) Redirect people using a 301 to the new location
> 2) After some time, put up a stub server which only gave a "We
> have moved, click here for new location" message on each request
> (of course tailored for the specific URL), with a 404 code.

Sounds a good ides; I hadn't tried that. I guess browsers do
usually display a page with 404, and robots should drop the URL.

It would be nice to do the whole thing in one go, but
things are a bit too entrenched for that.

> Still, I think an HTTP code would be more appropriate than an *HTML*
> extension. Locating a document is, after all, an HTTP feature.

I guess most people only have access to HTML and META tags, otherwise
the 301/302 status was supposed to deal with moving.

Andrew