Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

In article <Pine.WNT.3.95.970708095540.-163567C-100000@hazel.w3.org>,
Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:
> The first public draft of the HTML 4.0 specification is now
> available. This has been rewritten from the Cougar drafts.
> The goal is to work towards a proposed recommendation. The spec
> is the result of 3 years work in the W3C HTML working group and
> discussions on www-html.

Thanks! Excellent work!

About the only suggestion that I have is if and where there is any
definitive statement on &nbsp; being _collapsing_ or not. The
HTML 3.0 draft did explicitly state that &nbsp; is a space in
all aspects except line breaking, but neither 2.0 nor 3.2 do so.

The last time this was discussed here there really wasn't a
consensus, so it would be most appreciated if the HTML 4.0 spec
could end this "&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; indents 3 spaces - no it doesn't"
argument.

--
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>