Re: Question on BASE

Arnoud (galactus@htmlhelp.com)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 20:25:28 +0100

From: galactus@htmlhelp.com (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Re: Question on BASE
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 20:25:28 +0100

In article <Pine.LNX.3.93.970130032647.6543B-100000@crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk>,
James Aylett <sleeper@cryogen.com> wrote:
> That's no reason to include the true BASE HREF (which is generally a good
> thing anyway) along with the TARGET attribute. However since no one seems

Yes there is. In the current HTML 3.2 DTD, HREF is marked as
a required attribute for BASE.

Besides, BASE TARGET is defined (by Netscape at least) to set
the default target for links in the document, not for the document
itself.

> I guess I'm trying to say that we should be sorting out the frames
> implementation before suggesting how to play around with it to the browser
> vendors. Does anyone agree with me, or are we all framoholics?

I posted a proposal for an alternative way to handle frames, but
apparently Marc didn't like it.

- --
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>