Re: Why style sheets

Joel N. Weber II (nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us)
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:14:49 -1000 (HST)

Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:14:49 -1000 (HST)
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>
To: Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@htmlhelp.com>
cc: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Re: Why style sheets

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:

> "Joel N. Weber II" <nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us> wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
> > > If you use the same stylesheet on all your documents, you only
> > > need one access for all the style information. It's just like with
> > > images; if you use the same image for your logo on all your pages,
> > > a viewer only needs to download it once.
> >
> > Or if the style sheets differ, you can use a data: URL.
>
> Would you mind explaining that? As I understand it, the data
> URL is used to inline data, but there is already a mechanism
> for that: the STYLE element (goes in the head of a document).

Yes, you can write

<HEAD><STYLE>font-size:1cm</STYLE></HEAD>

But a really stupid old browser might display the style information
as text.  If you use data: inside a link, then everything will be
enclosed in tags, so hopefully old browsers will deal with it sanely.

(However, data: URLs can span several lines.  A stupid browser might
terminate the tag at the newline--I'm just speculating in this
paragraph, however)

nemo
                                                 http://www.cyclic.com/~nemo
<nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>                    <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
"...For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." -- Matthew 9:13