Re: Why style sheets

Joel N. Weber II (
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:14:49 -1000 (HST)

Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:14:49 -1000 (HST)
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <>
To: Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <>
Subject: Re: Why style sheets

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:

> "Joel N. Weber II" <> wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
> > > If you use the same stylesheet on all your documents, you only
> > > need one access for all the style information. It's just like with
> > > images; if you use the same image for your logo on all your pages,
> > > a viewer only needs to download it once.
> >
> > Or if the style sheets differ, you can use a data: URL.
> Would you mind explaining that? As I understand it, the data
> URL is used to inline data, but there is already a mechanism
> for that: the STYLE element (goes in the head of a document).

Yes, you can write

But a really stupid old browser might display the style information
as text.  If you use data: inside a link, then everything will be
enclosed in tags, so hopefully old browsers will deal with it sanely.

(However, data: URLs can span several lines.  A stupid browser might
terminate the tag at the newline--I'm just speculating in this
paragraph, however)

"...For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." -- Matthew 9:13