Re: Enhancements to Forms - another loss??

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997 BruceLeban@akimbo.com wrote:

> We could also give the user multiple choices:
>
>    <FORM ACTION=http://...>
>    <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT NAME="Submit Securely" ACTION=https://...>
>    <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT NAME="Submit Via E-mail" ACTION=mailto:...>
>    <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT NAME="Submit Insecurely" ACTION=http://...>
>    </FORM>

I think I agree with this, in principle at least, although I haven't
thought it through. It would, of course, be possible to do this currently
using a scripting language, and plucking the field contents out and
sending off the appropriate request; I wouldn't like to suggest whether
it would be worth having the above widely available.

> So far this is pretty simple. There is one complication: hiding buttons
> you don't want the user to see. In the above case, I might want three
> choices, but make the choice for them (showing them only the best
> choice). The solution I have is not as elegant as I'd like, but maybe
> someone can come up with a better one: add a new <SUBMIT> tag that
> modifies a following <INPUT> tag. If the action specified in the <SUBMIT>
> tag is useable, then any other attributes specified with <SUBMIT> replace
> (override) the attributes of <INPUT>. If multiple <SUBMIT> tags are
> present the first one that is useable is used.

This sounds to me a lot like the idea of specifying multiple URL's for a
single resource, which I seem to remember being thrown around sometime
last year. Certainly it seems rather short-sighted to add specifics to
HTML to allow multiple URL's for what is effectively the same resource in
FORMs without also doing the same for anchors, links, and so forth. Can
anyone remind me what happened to those discussions (I would search the
archive, but last time I tried I wasted about two hours before discovering
that the period I was looking for wasn't there).

Cheers,
James

  James Aylett - Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk): BBS, Ftp and Web
     Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk -- (0976) 212023