Re: New tags. (fwd) -Reply (fwd)

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Dave Carter wrote:
> >
> > Well I don't know whether W3C actually said 3.0 was a recommendation, but
> > it was a draft with their endorsement. It never got submitted to IETF, and
> > neither has 3.2. So I don't see the difference.
>
> Just so folks don't get confused...
>
> It's true that HTML 3.2 has not been submitted to the IETF, but
> it is completely false that HTML 3.0 was not.
> HTML 3.0 was an internet draft, submitted to the IETF in march 95[1].

Apologies for my misleading comments here.

> I suppose it's fair to say that W3C 'endorsed' both of them. But the
> W3C investment in HTML 3.0 was part of one staff-person's time (Dave),

The group of people working on Arena was somewhat larger than this though,
though I guess one person may have written the draft.

> whereas HTML 3.2 is the product of direct collaboration by W3C member
> organizations,

Who are these organisations?? Do they have formal international
representation?

>a vote of the 150+ member companies,

 This is the bit that worries me! Companies have vested interests.

>and the director's  formal recommendation.

 What about the users (workers) then!!!! Users (either authors or readers)
have no voice in this.

Thanks for your clarification

Dave Carter