Re: C style macros in HTML

Rob (
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 11:43:16 -0500

From: "Rob" <>
To: Joe Rice <>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 11:43:16 -0500
Subject: Re: C style macros in HTML

On 19 Dec 97, Joe Rice <> wrote:

> It seems to me that C style macros in HTML could dramatically reduce the
> size of many web pages.  For instance, when a graphic is used over and
> over again with particular alignment and size attributes, a "macro" tag

Well, a major problem is with deprecation: older browsers won't
understand those macros so a lot of content will be lost.

It's better handled by the server: you can use server side includes.

In a way you can use macros with the OBJECT element using the "declare"
attribute: I believe the HTML 4.0 recommendation allows for one to define
an object without displaying it, and then specifying the reference later

I haven't played around with this feature so I'm not familiar with how it
works or even if the major two browsers support it.

See the current recommendations, Sec. 13.

"The word to 'kill' ain't dirty    | Robert Rothenburg
 I used it in the last line        |
 but use the short word for lovin' |
 and Dad you wind up doin' time."  | PGP'd mail welcome (ID 0x5D3F2E99)