Re: Why can't we keep SPAM off this mailing list?

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Alan Richmond wrote:

> However I suspect this is an open
> not closed list, i.e. subscription isn't necessary to post? This list
> was cc'ed recently a note from Jose Kahn/www-talk which began:
> ==
> Spam activity is increasing on most public lists. In order to reduce
> the pain to subscribers of this w3c mailing list, we are temporarily
> closing foreign submissions to it.
>
> Q. What does "foreign submission" mean?
>
> A. Only subscribers to the list can send messages to it.
> ==
> 	How about the same for this list?

This list *was* configured that way, but now Jose is on vacation
so we removed that restriction temporarily so messages would not
be delayed in his absence. (I could take ownership of the list
temporarily, but I will soon be on vacation as well.)

In the meantime, sorry for the inconvenience. If the spam gets
too frequent I will consider closing the list to non-subscribers
and checking my mail every few days while on vacation to approve
(valid) non-subscriber messages.

Gerald
--
Gerald Oskoboiny            <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920