Re: Why can't we keep SPAM off this mailing list?

Stephanos Piperoglou wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Albert Hopkins wrote:
>
> > I'm seeing more and more SPAM on this ML everyday and, frankly, it's
> > getting very annoying.
>
> I would expect this is because there are bots scanning the list archives on

	I'm sure there are, but AFAIK they're not yet smart/obnoxious enough to
subscribe to them. I run a similar list and the only spam I get from it
is the administrator's bounce warning. However I suspect this is an open
not closed list, i.e. subscription isn't necessary to post? This list
was cc'ed recently a note from Jose Kahn/www-talk which began:
==
Spam activity is increasing on most public lists. In order to reduce
the pain to subscribers of this w3c mailing list, we are temporarily
closing foreign submissions to it.

Q. What does "foreign submission" mean?

A. Only subscribers to the list can send messages to it.
==
	How about the same for this list?

--
|_T_h_e___W_e_b___D_e_v_e_l_o_p_e_r's___V_i_r_t_u_a_l___L_i_b_r_a_r_y_|