Re: Comments on HTMl 4 draft (9/Nov/1997)

Neil St.Laurent (
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:24:31 -0600

From: "Neil St.Laurent" <>
To: Sue Jordan <>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:24:31 -0600
Subject: Re: Comments on HTMl 4 draft (9/Nov/1997)

> I would respond that 'appear' triggers an automatic CSS bell
> in my mind..

That appears to be incorrect -- there, "appear" is referring to the
content of your sentence.
> Now that you mention it, I could support an element <WEAK>
> that would lessen both emphasis and strength.  Footnotes
> would seem a logical example of the potential usage of such
> an element..

Well, I was just suggested <WEAK>.  What I would really like is a
<SAME>, the indicates the content is of a slightly different type but
is no less nor more important from the text that it appears in.

> Were I to use the tagline you write above, I would have
> enclosed it in <A HREF...>, effectively 'setting it apart'
> from the rest of the paragraph, anyway.  Have you another
> example?

What if it isn't an achor.  It could just be a random note to be
separated from the paragraph and not be linked to anywhere. <I>See
what I mean?</I>