Re: Logo for user-friendly/browser-friendly/scalable pages

Walter Ian Kaye (
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 12:45:40 -0700

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 12:45:40 -0700
From: Walter Ian Kaye <>
Subject: Re: Logo for user-friendly/browser-friendly/scalable pages

At 5:16p +0000 08/31/97, David Marsh wrote:
 > On 29-Aug-97 00:04:45, (Walter Ian Kaye)
 > >Hmm... I'm getting an idea...
 > >How about some sort of "geek code" (but not as geeky) where we enumerate
 > >what the page uses, something like:
 > [snip]
 > >        *: any
 > [snip]
 > >WW:  window width
 > >So, an enumeration might look like:
 > >  216=Y; WW=472-*; JS=1; CK=0; J=0; TBL=2+; IMG=1,#5:6K,WHA
 >           ^^^^^^
 > While this idea perhaps has some merit, forcing a given window size onto
 > viewers (we are obviously talking graphical browsers in this context) is a
 > really bad idea, and guaranteed to irritate.

I agree! Again to explain, this is NOT a browser directive, it is information
for HUMANS. An abbreviated advisory. An alert. A warning. A proclamation. (Am
I sounding like Lt Cmdr Data yet?;)

 > For those reasons, I prefer to ensure that the 'total graphic width' of the
 > images in my webpages is not greater than 400 pixels, which allows two
 > browser windows to fit happily into an 800x600 screen, and just squash into
 > lower resolution screens.

That is good. I recently found a way to make my title graphics appear to
"stretch" in the middle -- check out my counters-at-a-glance page at
<> for an example (zoom
and unzoom/restore your window to see how it adjusts). It does require
a 3.0 browser for the full effect (uses background cell color), but it
will still stretch on older browsers (just with a hole in the middle;).