Re: HTML Streaming

Steve Cheng (
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 21:29:37 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 21:29:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Cheng <>
To: Walter Ian Kaye <>
Subject: Re: HTML Streaming

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> Streaming works for audio and video because the sequential data are all the
> same size (amplitudes or RGB bits).

Is that so? I thought most formats use some type of compression. In these
formats, data sizes, etc. can be sent in advance because the media is fixed,
but HTML is media-independent.

> With HTML you have elements of varying
> sizes (fonts, bullets, images, etc.), and it can't be calculated in advance
> unless everything is embedded (such as with PDF).

Also right-to-left direction text.

Now, how would "streaming" be done with a speech browser? I can imagine
multiple voices yelling at you simultaneously. :)

Steve Cheng     <>