Re: HTML Streaming

Jan Roland Eriksson (d.tek.jre@ebox.tninet.se)
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 19:33:43 GMT

From: d.tek.jre@ebox.tninet.se (Jan Roland Eriksson)
To: www-html@w3.org
Cc: Albertfine@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 19:33:43 GMT
Subject: Re: HTML Streaming

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997 22:11:16 -0400 (EDT), Albertfine@aol.com wrote:

> Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie> wrote:
>=20
> >I know it's possible, but the rules of HTML forbid this...

[snip]

> This "sloppy behavior" makes HTML very easy to write. I think this is =
one of=20
> the reasons why the web is so popular. It also allows experienced HTML=20
> coders to write very lean code.

IMO "experienced HTML coders" would like to see to it that their work
does validate properly against the DTD selected as a base for their
particular work.

[snip]

> ...the HTML analogous being the organization of tags and the
> protocols for HTML editors.

I wonder why that particular phrase just passes me???
What is "organization of tags" and "a protocol for an HTML editor"?

> >Unfortunately, now that the everyone's using TABLE to align stuff,
> >browsers CANNOT display-as-they-go, because they need to receive
> >everything in the table before they can work out the widths.

[snip]

Hmm... have "we" ever had a look at the proposal for HTML 4.0 ?
(wich IMHO should be the primary topic of discussion here)

> I think all tags should be reviewed and changed to make them =
streamable. Of
> course, this is a very big step. I think the first step should be the=20
> organization of tags and review of the some of more experimental and=20
> proprietary additions to HTML files.

Somehow I get the feeling that "we" all need to read up on current _and_
proposed specifications on HTML and HTTP and the WWW and...

=3D * =3D * =3D * =3D * =3D * =3D * =3D * =3D * =3D * =3D * =3D * =3D * =3D
 Jan Roland Eriksson -- d.tek.jre@ebox.tninet.se
   URL --- http://home2.swipnet.se/%7Ew-20547/