Re: Thank you for the discussion on keybind/softkeytype

At 4:41 PM -0000 8/25/97, Wayne Campbell wrote:
>Now, for those more knowledgable than I about the standards process, just
>when is a draft closed? The draft released on 08 Jul 1997 (and I haven't
>seen a newer release yet) states that, as a draft, it is under constant
>revision and is therefore subject to change without notice. I also have yet
>to see any "official" notice that the draft is closed to revision. Under
>those auspices, I would think that adding a new attribute or two wouldn't
>be a problem at this stage of the game.
As I see it, this stage means no more creation of attributes at
all--they're unnecessary, unneeded, cumbersome, etc.  I think its draft
status means not that the existence of elements or attributes are open for
modification, but rather that the explanations given for their use need
clarification, such as the debate over the ACRONYM element.  In addition,
some exploration of specific, smaller details such as inconsistencies
within the DTD would also be explored.  However, that does not mean that we
can go around adding two attributes that are likely to be little-used and
are very application specific.  I'm no expert on all this either, but I
have a sense that the draft, as it stands, is only needing proofreading,
not revision.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]