Re: Navigation bars (was Re: HTML4.0 draft: comments ...)

Liam Quinn (
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:55:09 -0400

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:55:09 -0400
To: wahlen@ph-cip.Uni-Koeln.DE (Holger Wahlen),
From: Liam Quinn <>
Subject: Re: Navigation bars (was Re: HTML4.0 draft: comments ...)

At 10:28 PM 22/08/97 +0200, Holger Wahlen wrote:
>David Marsh wrote:
>| I must object to the proposed inclusion of frames, and instead would
>| a revision to the now obsolete HTML3.0 BANNER element in their place:
>| *   Allow the inclusion of *one* (or at most two) independently
>|     _navigation bars_ per page, (to serve a purpose similar to the most
>|     common frame use)
>How about dusting MENU a bit by permitting it in the document
>head (where something like this should be dealt with) for
>that purpose?

This would break on HTML 2.0 and HTML 3.2 compliant browsers, which would
assume that MENU indicates the start of the BODY.  Besides, we already
have HTML 2.0's LINK element for including navigation bars.  Perhaps what
would be useful would be some form of CSS extension to suggest whether the
LINKs are embedded and what position embedded LINKs would have (top,
right, bottom, or left).  And of course authors and users should be able
to dynamically show and hide embedded LINKs, much like MSIE 4.0b2's
Favorites and History panes.

This requires no changes to HTML, just some innovation (!) and creativity
(!!) from browser vendors.  Appropriate extensions to CSS and your
favourite client-side scripting language would help, but are not vital.

Version: PGP for Personal Privacy 5.0
Charset: noconv

Liam Quinn
======  PGP Key at  =====