Re: Disturbing IE 4.0pp2 behavior for lang="en"

Benjamin Franz (snowhare@netimages.com)
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 05:50:49 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 05:50:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare@netimages.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Disturbing IE 4.0pp2 behavior for lang="en"

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, E. Stephen Mack wrote:

> I was testing the new HTML 4.0 entities in IE 4.0 pp2.
> Here's a fragment of a test document:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN">
> <HTML LANG="EN">
> <HEAD>
                                                            ^^^^^^^
This is the second time I have seen someone assert (either explicitly or
implicitly) that the charset should be contained in quotes. I looked
through the HTTP1.1 spec and could not find anything suggesting that this
was either necessary or even acceptable, and it appears to conflict with
actual usage for most documents I have seen. Where is this coming from?

--
Benjamin Franz