LANG and character encoding (Re: Disturbing IE 4.0pp2 behavior f

Heinrich C. Kuhn (kuhn@mpg-gv.mpg.de)
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:48:54 GMT +

From: "Heinrich C. Kuhn" <kuhn@mpg-gv.mpg.de>
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:48:54 GMT +
Cc: estephen@emf.net
Subject: LANG and character encoding (Re: Disturbing IE 4.0pp2 behavior f

"E. Stephen Mack" <estephen@emf.net> wrote to www-html:

> It's my understanding that specifying a language with the LANG
> attribute should *NOT* have an influence over the character
> encoding that is picked to display the document, is that right?

I agree insofar, that it should at least not *override* additional
information concerning the encoding of the document, as there are
languages, that can be written (and have been written and are
written) using different encodings.

Regards

Heinrich C. Kuhn

!   Dr. Heinrich C. Kuhn   (coordinator libraries &c.)
!   Max-Planck-Gesellschaft / Generalverwaltung VIIIb3
!   Postfach 10 10 62 /  D-80084 Muenchen
!   T: +49-89-2108 1563 / F: +49-89-2108 1565
!   eMail: hck@ipp-garching.mpg.de, kuhn@mpg-gv.mpg.de