keybind and softkeytype [Fwd: Requests to HTML4.0 draft]

Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:22:46 -0500

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:22:46 -0500
From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
CC: www-html@w3.org
Subject: keybind and softkeytype [Fwd: Requests to HTML4.0 draft]

--------------B7721DD69F0

Forwarded with permission...

--
Dan
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

--------------B7721DD69F0

From: Tomy Kamada <tomy@access.co.jp>
To: "'Dan Connolly'" <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: "'tomy'" <tomy@access.co.jp>
Subject: Requests to HTML4.0 draft
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 03:03:49 +0900

Dear Dan,

Regarding HTML 4.0 Draft, I would like to ask you
the following requests. These features have been
incorporated into our Browser (NetFront) for consumer
Internet appliances.

(1) access key
The "accesskey" attribute is very similar to our "keybind"
attributes.

	<A keybind="a" href=....>(a) answer</A>
	<A keybind="F1" href=...>Button 1</A>
        <A keybind="1" href=....>CH1 TBS</A>

We permit special keys F1 - F12 besides the normal ASCII keys.

(2) softkey type
In the keyboard-less Internet appliances, the browser usually
uses a software keyboard. In this case, if some input forms
accept only numbers, it seems better that a software keyboard
for inputing numbers is popped up. We introduced the attribute
"softkeytype" to specify the required input type for <input>
and <textarea>.

	softkeytype="normal"	- Any characters
	softkeytype="digit"	- Numbers
	softkeytype="hira"	- Hiragana(Japanese)
	softkeytype="kata"	- Katakana(Japanese)
	softkeytype="upper"	- Upper case
	softkeytype="lower"	- Lower case

---
The problem is that more than 20 products using NetFront have been
put into the market or are going to be shipped;
Internet-TVs(SHARP, Mitsubishi, NTT(JVC), Matsushita), Internet word
processors(NEC, SHARP, Fujitsu, CASIO), PDA(Fujitsu, SII), Intranet
terminal(EPSON), FA terminal(Okuma), SetTopBoxes(many) and etc.

We would be very happy if the name of attribute "keybind" is adopted
in HTML4.0, and the attribute "softkeytype" is added to the draft.

Best Regards,

				--- tomy
Dr Tomihisa Kamada
Executive Vice-President, R&D