Frameset URLs revisited

E. Stephen Mack (
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 02:45:53 -0700

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 02:45:53 -0700
From: "E. Stephen Mack" <>
Subject: Frameset URLs revisited

A few weeks ago, I posted some ideas I had regarding extending
URLs for framesets so that a full URL could reflect documents
loaded in a frameset after the initial frameset.

Today, independently, I came across a scripted example of this
idea from Netscape's DevEdge documentation. [1]

Their example uses JavaScript to recognize a name property and
value in the URL.  They use a question mark followed
by the frame name and an equals sign, followed by the full URL
to be loaded in the named frame.  Here's a live example:
(sorry about the long URL)

While I think the script is a clever idea, I'd like to see
a W3C proposal to make this officially a part of URL syntax
so that each frameset does not have to use this script.

E. Stephen Mack <>