Re: THEAD & TFOOT for columns

Neil St.Laurent (
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 07:03:03 -0600

From: "Neil St.Laurent" <>
To: "Martin J. D^nrst" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 07:03:03 -0600
Subject: Re: THEAD & TFOOT for columns

> the table vertically presented (it's not compulsory, for certain
> reasons, the table could be left horizontal), THEAD would be
> right (because in Chinese, the columns go right-to-left) and
> TFOOT would be left..

I am not propositioning that TABLES be used in any way for horizontal
layout, nor should they be used for layout at all.  I think the
requirement for a COLHEAD and COLFOOT is because tables have logical
sections such as a COLHEAD and COLFOOT.  THEAD marks a specific
section of TABLE ROWS, thus it's already been assigned to a specific

While it is possible that browsers would offer an option to flip
rows/columns, it would appear doubtful anyone would do so.