Re: Why <FORM> is a block level element?

Neil St.Laurent (
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:56:24 -0600

From: "Neil St.Laurent" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:56:24 -0600
Subject: Re: Why <FORM> is a block level element?

> I suppose, from DTD and SGML point of view, there might be
> difficulties in specifying elements that could have any other elements
> as content, and could be inside almost any other element. Is SGML
> inflexible? Though, <a> element seems to fit this model..

There is no apparent technical reason why <FORM> can't allow anything
in it and appear inside anything.

Putting input elements inline could be accomplished just be inserting
them, I don't think they have to be in a FORM.  Using some sort of
script attached to their associated response functrions could make
that entry do something.
Worst case scenario put the <FORM> very high in the order and have
almost the entire document as a form.