Re: XMP

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Neil St.Laurent wrote:

> > 	<PRE>
> > 	<![CDATA[
>
> Why can't just a regular tag have content that is of type CDATA?  I
> don't see anything in SGML that eliminates that option...

In data marked with <![CDATA[ ...  the sequence of `]]>' is not allowed
and must be escaped.  With a CDATA tag such as <XMP> the sequence of `</'
is not allowed and must be escaped.

Certainly the sequence of `]]>' is less likely to come up.

That's all the diffrerence that I really know, other than the fact the
that when you use CDATA marked sections it is really obvious that you are
in a CDATA block.

The SGML gurus around this mailing list probably can give you even more
reasons.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"