Re: XMP

Peter Flynn (pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie)
12 Aug 1997 14:34:58 +0100

Date: 12 Aug 1997 14:34:58 +0100
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie>
To: mannon@edge.net
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: XMP

   I won't be on this list long; I've only got one question. Would somebody
   please explain why the XMP tag is being obsoleted in 4.0?

XMP was obsoleted in HTML3, a long long time ago, and in the final
version of HTML 2.0 (RFC1866) it was strongly deprecated. IMHO it
should have been given a decent burial then and should not have been
used or seen for at least three years.

   Will there be
   a tag that permits me to show HTML code, as code, without having to
   filter everything through a Perl script?

Use <PRE> with the &s changed to &amp; and the <s and >s changed to
&lt; and &gt; -- or is that the problem? I don't understand where the
Perl script enters into it, unless that's how you convert <, &, and >
to their character entity form.  I agree it's a pain in the butt, and
if browser makers had ever bothered to RTFM they would have found the
CDATA marked section which lets you do exactly what you want.

I doubt anyone is going to introduce a new element for this now. But
XML will allow you to use CDATA marked sections:

   <![cdata[<h2>A heading</h2>]]>

///Peter