Re: So what is _parent then?

Arnoud (
Sun, 03 Aug 1997 19:52:36 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: So what is _parent then?
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 19:52:36 +0200

In article <>,
wahlen@ph-cip.Uni-Koeln.DE (Holger Wahlen) wrote:
> Unfortunately it doesn't say what exactly a FRAMESET parent
> is, not to mention the immediate one (are there other than
> immediate parents anyway?),

The value of _parent is one of the most confusing things in framesets.
It is often confused with _top, because people rarely nest framesets
in such a way that _parent means something different.

I think the best description is "Refers to the FRAME that contains
the current FRAME, if there is one - otherwise, identical to _top".
In other words, if you have

<FRAME SRC="topleft">
<FRAME SRC="bottomleft">
<FRAME SRC="right">

then document "topleft" *appears* to be nested, but _parent here
is identical to _top, because there is no FRAME element that *contains*
the FRAME containing "topleft". If the innermost FRAMESET were in
a document called "left", referred to as

<FRAME SRC="left" NAME=TheLeft>
<FRAME SRC="right" NAME=TheRight>

then _parent in document "topleft" would refer to the frame named

> and why it matters whether nested
> framesets are defined in a single file or in several ones.

"Netscape does it this way."

I have been unable to find *any* information whatsoever on the
reasoning behind this behaviour. The only idea I can come up with
is that in the first case, there *is* no FRAME to refer to, but
in the second case there is. This makes it possible to resolve _parent
in the second case.

E-mail: .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <>