Stuff about the OBJECT tag.

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor (
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:14:05 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:14:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor" <>
Subject: Stuff about the OBJECT tag.

I'm a little confused about using the OBJECT element to include one HTML
document in another.  The included HTML document is a full HTML document
complete with DOCTYPE and HEAD elements and TITLE elements right?  This is
unlike a server side includes where the included file is cut and paste
into the including docuement.

On a similar note this example is given in the specs:
<OBJECT title="The Earth as seen from space"
 <OBJECT data="TheEarth.mpeg" type="application/mpeg">
  <OBJECT src="TheEarth.gif">
   The <STRONG>Earth</STRONG> as seen from space.

There is an error. ``src'' is not an OBJECT attribute.

Also, Content for the OBJECT element is defined as follows:
<!ELEMENT OBJECT - - (PARAM | %block)*>

Wouldn't <!ELEMENT OBJECT - - (PARAM*, %block*)> be better?
I find it a little odd that the content of OBJECT is ignored unless the
object can't be rendered UNLESS it can be rendered and it has parmeters.

Russell O'Connor
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"