Re: SUB and SUP

Steven Champeon (schampeo@hesketh.com)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 02:37:55 -0400

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 02:37:55 -0400
To: Jukka Korpela <jkorpela@cc.hut.fi>, www-html@w3.org
From: Steven Champeon <schampeo@hesketh.com>
Subject: Re: SUB and SUP

At 09:12 AM 4/30/97 +0300, Jukka Korpela graced us with:
> Thus, I think it should be make clear whether SUB and SUP are
> intended to be used for stylistic presentation only, and if they
> are, explicitly state that they should not be used for exponents in
> mathematical expressions or in other contexts where it might change
> the meaning of a piece of text if SUB and SUP elements were presented
> as normal text.

For some of the examples you site, such as superscripted exponents,=20
there are entities whose meaning is clear, such as=20

superscript two                      =B2    &#178; --> =B2    &sup2;   --=
> =B2
superscript three                    =B3    &#179; --> =B3    &sup3;   --=
> =B3

cf. <URL:http://www.uni-passau.de/~ramsch/iso8859-1.html>

What is the status of HTML-Math? All I could find at

<URL:http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/>

was a link to the Sept96 meeting of the HTML-Math SIG...

<URL:http://www.ams.org/html-math/meeting-960930-notes.html>

Whoa! Spoke too soon:

<URL:http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Math/>

It looks like something is happening here.

Steve

Steve

--
Steven Champeon                 |    Negative forces have value.
http://www.hesketh.com/schampeo |          - Henry Adams=20