Re: RFD: Adding alias names to links and resources in HTML documents

James Aylett (sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:01:49 +0100 (BST)

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:01:49 +0100 (BST)
From: James Aylett <sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To: Rob <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: RFD: Adding alias names to links and resources in HTML documents

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Rob wrote:

> A lot of suggestions regarding <link>, <resource> etc. Read on:
>
> A useful feature to add to Cougar would be the use of logical names
> (aliases) for resources using the <link> tag.  Links in documents
> would refer to the logical name of the resource, with that name being
> defined (in a shared file) with the actual URL.

Isn't this part of the idea behind URNs (Universal Resource Names)? I
think this could be achieved better if you used URNs, but specified (via a
LINK element in the HEAD of the HTML document) the specific URN database
or server to use - assuming that is that I've got the ideas right here.

James

   James Aylett -- Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk) Ftp and Web
            Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk