Re: Hyphenation (was Re: A suggested tag)

Paul Prescod (
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 14:11:28 -0400

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 14:11:28 -0400
From: Paul Prescod <>
To: Carl Morris <>
CC: WWW HTML List <>
Subject: Re: Hyphenation (was Re: A suggested tag)

Carl Morris wrote:
> Maybe I am, late to this punch line, in some language somewhere,

Paragraphs, headings, blockquotes and tables are not stylistic. They all
have meaning in a presentation without, say any visual display at all
(read aloud, for instance). You might well do a database search on
content "in the same paragraph" or "in a heading" or "not in
blockquotes". These factors indicate that those things are structural:
their use transcends visual media.

Hyphenation does not.
> Lets get off the damned issue, HTML is stylistic, ASCII is content...

HTML is ASCII. RTF is ASCII? What's your point?

> There is no way to describe one without the other, even a TEXT file is
> stylistic.

If you say so...

 Paul Prescod