Re: ISO and HTML

Dave Carter (dxc@ast.cam.ac.uk)
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:09:57 +0100 (BST)

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:09:57 +0100 (BST)
From: Dave Carter <dxc@ast.cam.ac.uk>
To: Abigail <abigail@fnx.com>
cc: jkorpela@cc.hut.fi, papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: ISO and HTML

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Abigail wrote:

> What's the point of putting <MATH> in? It has been clear that browser
> authors aren't interested in developing MATH support. (Of course not,
> neither commercial websites nor Joe Q. User is interested in it).
> Putting MATH back in won't change that.
>
> If you want MATH support, go make a browser that deals with it.

There are almost enough browsers which support <MATH>, namely Arena and
udiWWW. There aren't quite enough because there are other platforms.

> I don't see the point in making an ISO standard (or any standard) which
> has major features which aren't supported by any non-experimental
> browser. All the major browsers ignore the specifications anyway, 99%
> of the users doesn't care, and 99% of the authors prefer catering to
> browsers than to specs.

Thats horribly defeatist. I would rather believe that 99% of users and
99% of browsers are irrelevant, if they prefer things that way then they
have nothing to say to me nor I to them. The 1% are those who matter.

Dave Carter