<MATH> implementation (was Re: ISO and HTML)

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Abigail wrote:

> ++ Why then not put <MATH> back in. This is a requirement of many of
> ++ us. Its absence is the main reason that 3.2 is inadequate.
>
> What's the point of putting <MATH> in? It has been clear that browser
> authors aren't interested in developing MATH support. (Of course not,
> neither commercial websites nor Joe Q. User is interested in it).

We make do with "inline" notation:  2^(1/12) or 2**(1/12) to represent
the twelfth root of two (1.0594630947, the ratio of a musical note's
frequency to the note a semitone below it in the equal-tempered, 12-tone
chromatic scale), for example.

> Putting MATH back in won't change that.

Wouldn't an <applet> be best? All we really need is a Java applet that can
take an inline formula as a parameter, parse it (perhaps with some hints),
and generate a typeset image of the formula, along with a textbox showing
the original inline version for copy+paste purposes. Maybe it could even
toggle between graphic and text display, though I don't know enough about
Java to say whether a paint area and text area could swap positions or not.