Re: A suggested tag

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 23:07:31 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: "WWW HTML List" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: A suggested tag
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 23:07:31 -0500

>It seems terribly cumbersome and inefficient from an author's
>standpoint.
>
>Optimally, browsers would have a dictionary of words and their proper
>hyphenation, but since they can't even support justified text,
>thinking about hyphenation is a bit premature.  If browsers were to
>support &shy;, I can only imagine using it on long words (>10
>characters).

I am not worried about words, what about long URL's?  Currently, the URL:

http://199.120.83.179/msftrncs/products/onefossil/onefos-s1-ss2.txt.html

is awfully long, wouldn't display well in a table, and hyphens can not be
used...  I would like the ability to help the browser (or see browser
authors implement some reliable automatic form) of wraping for such
entries, such as:

http://199.120.83.179<OBR>/msftrncs/products<OBR>/onefossil/onefos-s1-ss2.tx
t.html

So it least it could be broken in a few places without relying on
spaces...