Re: A suggested tag

Ingo Macherius (Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de)
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 00:59:25 +0200 (MET DST)

Subject: Re: A suggested tag
To: papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Prescod)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 00:59:25 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: www-html@w3.org
From: Ingo Macherius <Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de>

Paul Prescod said:

| Ingo Macherius wrote:
| > This would impose the necessarity to have multi langual dictionaries
| > installed on any client machine. With the supposed tag such would be =
ne=3D
| eded

| As long as it is a server side, why not just point to hyphenation
| dictionary customized with the words in the document (or perhaps the
| site)?

On WWW6 Mbone submissions there was a speech today concerning processing
documents *in* the proxy. I guess this is be a problem that could be
very well solved this way. So the proxy has the dictionairs and inserts
<w>-like tags. Just a thought ...

| #1. That wouldn't mutiliate the HTML.

Right. But in some cases (just think of the standard poetry example) it
may be unwanted to have hyphenation. So some kind of markup *is* needed.
This may be reduced to someting like <p hyphenation>, if dictionaries are
used.

| #3. No change to HTML would be necessary -- use LINK.

Not even this would be needed. Content-Language and the LANG attributes
should be enough. The LINK may be used to point to additional dictionairs=
,
e.g. technical ones.

| #5. A dictionary based approach is the right one in the long run, even
| if the dictionaries must reside on the client machine, so we might as
| well move in that direction.

After reading your arguments: Agreed. But something like a common diction=
ary
format needs vendor decisions. Hope they=B4ll do.

	++im
--=20
Snail : Ingo Macherius // L'Aigler Platz 4 // D-38678 Clausthal-Zellerfel=
Mail  : Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de WWW: http://www.tu-clausthal.de/~i=
nim/
Information!=3DKnowledge!=3DWisdom!=3DTruth!=3DBeauty!=3DLove!=3DMusic=3D=
=3DBEST (Frank Zappa)