Re: Cougar Critique - style WD defined nonstandard HTTP header?

Liam Quinn (liam@htmlhelp.com)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:59:43 -0500

From: "Liam Quinn" <liam@htmlhelp.com>
To: Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@htmlhelp.com>,
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:59:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Cougar Critique - style WD defined nonstandard HTTP header?
CC: www-html@w3.org

On 10 Apr 97 at 11:07, Dave Raggett wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
>
> > The style working draft, linked from the Cougar section at the W3C,
> > introduces the new "Content-Style-Type" HTTP header, which indicates
> > the style language used for "inline" style specifications.
> >
> > Apart from the obvious problem that you now can only use one type of
> > inline style language ...
>
> False. You can use use multiple <STYLE> elements and specify the
> style sheet notation for each.

Isn't that considered "embedded" style rather than "inline" (to which
Galactus was referring)?

For example, how would I specify that <FOO STYLE="..."> uses one
style sheet language but when I later use <FOO STYLE="..."> it's
using a different style sheet language?  Right now, I don't
see how two style sheet languages for inline style are
possible.  (Granted, the use of so much inline style is questionable,
but that doesn't make it wrong.)

Similarly, I don't see how one can specify for which medium the
inline style is intended, since the MEDIA attribute applies only to
LINK and STYLE elements.

Liam Quinn
===============  http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/  ===============