Re: Using your own DTD (was Re: %flow and headers and address)

murray@spyglass.com (Murray Altheim) wrote:
>Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU> writes:
>[...]
>>        I was assuming that Peter would offer his composite DTD for
>>public discussion by all interested persons, and would amend it
>>toward some consensus of what would be most useful to as many of
>>those interested persons as possible, as well as making his own
>>judgements based on his expertise in SGML.
>[...]
>>        A lot of what will be "restored" in it was designed to
>>degrade gracefully for clients which do not support it.  But
>>using it is presently problematic with respect to validation
>>if you also use markup developed since, and not in, the (expired)
>>HTML 3.0 DTD.
>
>If you guys

	What's this "you guys"??!!??  It should be discussed and
refined by everyone who has in interest in it.  That includes you,
too, doesn't it?

>		 decide to go off and rebuild the world outside of W3C, you
>should at least consider what you're doing as a/the possible proposal you'd
>submit to the IETF in reopening an HTML working group. Then the product of
>what you're working on would actually become (theoretically, at least) a
>recognized standard. Hey, and you might get participation by a lot of
>people willing to provide valuable feedback (such as Earl).

	It might be better to take one step at a time.  What's clearly
needed is a composite DTD that includes and coordinates what has already
been formally proposed and/or implemented in at least one client.  That
includes essentially everything in the (expired) HTML 3.0 DTD, and a lot
more at this point.

				Fote