New "search" mailing list

Nick Arnett (narnett@verity.com)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:25:27 -0700

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:25:27 -0700
To: robots@webcrawler.com, web4lib@library.berkeley.edu, www-talk@w3.org,
From: narnett@verity.com (Nick Arnett)

I've decided to take the plunge and start a mailing list. For quite some
time, people have talked about starting a list focused on search. That's
what I've created.

To subscribe, send a message containing the word "subscribe" in the body to:

search-request@mccmedia.com

For those of you who know list servers, this may not be a familiar one,
though the commands are fairly standard.  It's the EMWAC server, running on
Windows NT. It's a very basic server.

This list is unmoderated and my approach will be quite hands-off.  I'll
only ask that discussions stay on the topic of search and agent
technologies, products, services, etc. All vendors are welcome. If the list
traffic becomes heavy, I will split it into multiple lists.  It will be
archived, like many other Web-related lists, on my server at
http://www.mccmedia.com/.  That server is rebuilding all of its files right
now, partly in preparation for adding this list and others.

Disclaimer: I am the Evangelist for Verity Inc., of which I am a
stockholder.  Verity makes search tools.  However, this list is owned and
operated by Multimedia Computing Corp., a 10-year-old company of which I am
majority owner and CEO. To cut through the legalese, I'll just say that I'm
not operating this list on Verity's behalf in any manner.