Re: The Final Word On HTML

Matthew James Marnell (marnellm@portia.portia.com)
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:31:28 -0400

To: Brian Gaines <gaines@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: The Final Word On HTML
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:31:28 -0400
From: Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com>

:>It is a distinction without a difference. HTML is a formal language and
:>it can viewed as a programming language for a certain (very important
:>and very powerful) form of graphic user interface.

I think we've found the Problem(tm) here.  HTML is not for building
GUIs.  Of course people have a great desire to base GUI's around
HTML.  It makes a so-so glue.  The true strength and power of HTML
is being completely ignored, so I won't even bother to startle
anyone out of their GUI revery with it.  Let's just say that
without this power, the Web is going to continue to be harder
to navigate without it.

Matt