Re: WEB-Formproblem with: action=mailto:user@server

bob@lava.net (Robert P Cunningham) wrote:
>>...Exactly how must a browser convert the form to an email message?
>
>The browser MUST use application/x-www-form-urlencoded.  To do otherwise
>makes too many assumptions about what's receiving the email.
>
>It would be very, very useful to be able to specify a different
>ENCTYPE for the FORM, in order to tell the browser what other type
>of format to use.  But that's not yet part of HTML...

	I'm curious why you say that.  What is the purpose of an
ENCTYPE attribute if not to specify the encoding?

	Both Netscape and Lynx support ENCTYPE="text/plain" for a
mailto ACTION in FORMs.  It would be trivial for all clients to
support that.  Is that a violation of standards, or just giving
users what they want, in the exact manner that was intended?  I'm
asking seriously.

				Fote