Re: about the OBJECT tab

Fred L. Drake (fdrake@CNRI.Reston.VA.US)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:08:28 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Fred L. Drake" <fdrake@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: Re: about the OBJECT tab
To: Erika Madja <madja@iro.umontreal.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:08:28 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: fdrake@CNRI.Reston.VA.US, www-html@w3.org

[Example HTML omitted.]
>	 Do you  think  all the information conveyed by  audio-variant1,
> audio-variant2, video-variant1, audio-list and video-list  etc..  will be
> accessible to  the code  "xxxxxxxx" ?

Erika,
  Grail doesn't support <OBJECT DECLARE>, so the single applet that
uses an external source of data would be necessary for your
application.

> I guest that the way  parameters values are passed to the code is
> browser-dependant, isn't ?

  It will certainly be dependent on the applet language, and I'd
expect that browser dependencies will also be a problem for a while.
Grail uses Python's keyword arguments to pass parameters to the applet
class constructor, but I don't think all applet languages support
keyword calling, much less the same kind of runtime support that
Python uses.

> 2- Another simple and clear solution is to put  all the metadata into a file
> and just  declare the multimedia in this way:
>
> <OBJECT id = multimedia  DECLARE  CLASSID = "xxxxxxxx">
> <PARAM   name = metadatafile  value = "ffff.meta">
> </OBJECT>
>
> But my boss doesn't like this solution...
> Thanks a lot in advance.

  I must say I agree with your boss; I don't either.  ;-)  There's
clearly a lot of work to be done on Grail's model for applets and
resource declaration.  Since Grail is mostly a side issue here, I
don't expect resolutions to many of the real problems in the immediate
future.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.