Re: What's allowed in table cells?

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 18:30:33 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: "Stephanos Piperoglou" <spip@hol.gr>
Cc: "WWW HTML List" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: What's allowed in table cells?
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 18:30:33 -0500

| I passed this through a parser (WebTechs validation service using the
strict
| HTML 3.2 DTD) and it definetely choked:
|
| <TABLE>
| <TR><P><TD>
| </TABLE>
|
| This is a BIT confusing to me. I understand that the DTD implies no
markup
| between TABLE tags and TR, TD and TH blocks, but WHY?

Yea, confusing huh?  I stoped using validators for that purpose...   I
would first exclaim that tables were designed by LYNX killers...
NETSCAPE... but since I don't know the history behind tables I can't
say for certian...  There is no backwards compatibility with TABLES
themselves ...  Also the validators seem to complain about contentless
table cells...  nothing said a cell must have content...  and from what
I remember, a TR can contain content... but maybe i better read that
part of 3.2 spec first?

| The following validated fine:
|
| <TITLE>Somestring</TITLE>
| <BODY>
| Foobar
| </BODY>

Thats weird... the default mode of HTML 3.2 states thats incorrect, and
that you must use a "relaxed" switch ... maybe WEBTECHS has such as
switch/mode...

It otherwise falls into a P tag with MSIE and NS I beleive...