Re: space

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:49:53 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: "Peter Flynn" <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>, <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: space
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:49:53 -0500

| >  That's perfectly legal from what I understand.  CDATA entries are
only
| > terminated by </[a-z]
|
| Parsing the file
|
| 	<pre>
| 	PROCEDURE frob
| 	BEGIN
| 	  IF silly <> foolish THEN
| 	    WRITELN("Oooops.");
| 	END
|
| produces the following from sgmls:
|
| 	sgmls: SGML error at test.html, line 6 at ">":
| 	       PRE end-tag implied by short start-tag (no GI); not
minimizable

| In other words, because PRE allows markup within it, any "<" in PRE
is
| expected to be the start of a valid element, and thus to be followed
by

Yes yes yes,   but anyone who doesn't stop to think that anything in an
HTML document shouldn't be escaped is crazed...  and if you think that
not everything can be escaped your also crazed....  old unexcaped tags
such as <LISTING> and <XMP> are technically gone now... they should not
be used, because everyone had relized that it is more than possible to
escape imported documents..