Re: space

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:41:29 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: "Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker" <levitte@lp.se>
Cc: "WWW HTML List" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: space
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:41:29 -0500

|    limitations...  <PRE> is primarily made to enforce a monospaced
font...

| Oh, and I was under the misconception that PRE would mean
"PREformated".
| I don't recall having read that monospace was a must, but I may
gotten
| it wrong...

A monospaced font is what many things are preformated on... otherwise I
could include

<PRE>
    /RTF ....
</PRE>

and you would have an RTF preformated section...  I don't think so...
...  A more descriptive definition of <PRE> is probably to display the
block as if it were formatted for an old text terminal at WIDTH
width...  This I don't see people doing yet,  because by default, the
text is supposed to be hard wrapped at WIDTH width...