Re: space

Scott E. Preece (
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 12:27:55 -0500

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 12:27:55 -0500
From: "Scott E. Preece" <>
Subject: Re: space

  From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <>
| Right...
|    limitations...  <PRE> is primarily made to enforce a monospaced font...
| Oh, and I was under the misconception that PRE would mean "PREformated".
| I don't recall having read that monospace was a must, but I may gotten
| it wrong...

Wrong impression - the standard says:
   The <PRE> element represents a character cell block of text and is
   suitable for text that has been formatted for a monospaced font.

So when it says "preformatted" what it means is "preformatted for
presentation in a monospaced font".

scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550
internet mail: