Re: space

Scott E. Preece (preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 12:27:55 -0500

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 12:27:55 -0500
From: "Scott E. Preece" <preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com>
To: levitte@lp.se
CC: msftrncs@htcnet.com, C.Ridd@imc.exec.nhs.uk, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: space

  From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@lp.se>

| Right...
|
|    limitations...  <PRE> is primarily made to enforce a monospaced font...
|
| Oh, and I was under the misconception that PRE would mean "PREformated".
| I don't recall having read that monospace was a must, but I may gotten
| it wrong...
---

Wrong impression - the standard says:
   The <PRE> element represents a character cell block of text and is
   suitable for text that has been formatted for a monospaced font.

So when it says "preformatted" what it means is "preformatted for
presentation in a monospaced font".

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550