Java is not the only applet language!

Ka-Ping Yee (
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 00:52:42 +0900

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 00:52:42 +0900
From: Ka-Ping Yee <>
Subject: Java is not the only applet language!

From the September 9 Draft of the HTML 3.2 Reference Specification

> APPLET (Java Applets)
> Requires start and end tags. This element is supported by all Java
> enabled browsers. It allows you to embed a Java applet into HTML
> documents.

Excuse me, but how can the W3C possibly claim that Java is
the only WWW applet programming language?

Specific references to Java should be removed.  This tag (and
the <OBJECT> tag) are for embedding objects of general types,
not for one programming language only.

In particular, the following is silly and has no place in any
formal specification:

> Following the PARAM elements, the content of APPLET elements
> should be used to provide an alternative to the applet for
> user agents that don't support Java.
> Other possibilities for this area are a link to a page that
> is more useful for the Java-ignorant browser, or text that
> taunts the user for not having a Java-compatible browser.

Are we going to suggest that authors using <BLINK> might
consider "text that taunts the user" for not having a
Netscape-compatible browser, next?

       3B Computer Engineering, Waterloo (on exchange in Tottori, Japan) brings math to the Web as easy as <se>?pi?</se>