Re: space

Chris Ridd (C.Ridd@imc.exec.nhs.uk)
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:40:33 +0100

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:40:33 +0100
From: Chris Ridd <C.Ridd@imc.exec.nhs.uk>
To: Carl Morris <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: space

Carl Morris wrote:

> | ><pre>
> | >PROCEDURE frob
> | >BEGIN
> | >  IF silly <> foolish THEN
> | >    WRITELN("Ooops.");
> | >END
> | ></pre>
> | >
> | >is not legal because of the "<>".
> |
> |  That's perfectly legal from what I understand.  CDATA entries are
> only
> | terminated by </[a-z]

OK, perhaps I could have found a better example, say "1<EM" or
something, which starts an emphasised text tag, but doesn't complete it.

> better you all check 3.2:
>
> -----
> The PRE element can be used to include preformatted text. User agents
> render this in a fixed pitch font, preserving spacing associated with
> white space characters such as space and newline characters. Automatic
> word-wrap should be disabled within PRE elements.
>
> Note that the SGML standard requires that the parser remove a newline
> immediately following the start tag or immediately preceding the end
> tag.
>
> PRE has the same content model as paragraphs, excluding images and
> elements that produce changes in font size, e.g. IMG, BIG, SMALL, SUB,
> SUP and FONT.
> ---
>
> It seems to be that PRE is just a special case of the other block
> elements... nowhere was CDATA mentioned...  I instead like the fact of

[BTW, I mentioned PCDATA, not CDATA.]

Look at the DTD for the *formal* definition. Cougar says:

<!ENTITY % pre.exclusion "IMG|BIG|SMALL|SUB|SUP|FONT">

<!ELEMENT PRE - - (%text)* -(%pre.exclusion)>

%text is defined elsewhere as:

<!ENTITY % text "#PCDATA | %font | %phrase | %special | %form">

Note the PCDATA in the definition of %text.

Chris