Re: Simple(?) question on obscure comments detail

Foteos Macrides (MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU)
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 10:52:53 -0500 (EST)

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 10:52:53 -0500 (EST)
From: Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU>
Subject: Re: Simple(?) question on obscure comments detail
To: murray@spyglass.com
Cc: www-html@w3.org

murray@spyglass.com (Murray Altheim) wrote:
>[...] An SGML markup declaration
>begins with a "markup declaration open" (MDO), which in the reference
>concrete (ie., default) syntax is defined as:
>
>    <!
>
>Following immediately after this (no whitespace) is the declaration type.
>There are 13 types of markup declarations in SGML, but only one is allowed
>in the document instance: the comment declaration.

	Perhaps this is a problem of me not yet being clear on the precise
meanings of SMGL terms, but isn't it now two for HTML:

	<!--

and:
	<!DOCTYPE

	Also, wouldn't a real SGML parser handle comments in a DOCTYPE
declaration, but they are presently excluded, or at perhaps "disrecommended",
there for HTML?

				Fote